Monday, August 30, 2010

Does quilting count as Summer fun?

Sometimes I think I have too much fun with quilting! I had better leave more time to something like.....geneology. Nah - just kidding, I'll let you know when I take up a new hobby. But for now some of my free time has been going into the making of quilts. . With the marriage of Reece and Caitlin, I decided to make a quilt for their wedding present. I choose some beautiful batik fabrics that are really bright.
I think it will keep them awake at night!

Brooke has been home this summer and she wanted a project to keep her busy. This quilt is Brooke's fourth quilt. I helped her a little bit with the cutting out of some of the strips of fabric, but she did all the sewing and alot of the cutting out. She found out just how much time goes into making a queen size quilt.

She chose some beautiful batik fabrics and made a quilt using the Ohio Star. This girl is accurate in her sewing. Way to go Brooke! I am impressed.

The last quilting project I worked on this summer was in the making for the last 5 years or so. I saw a quilt hanging on the wall of an antique store in Westerville and had to take a pciture of it so that I could try to duplicate it. I have been dragging my feet in finishing it because the border is appliqued. (Not my favorite to do) So this summer, I appliqued vines, leaves, flowers ,and yo-yo flowers. How much more fun can I have! Which really means, it wasn't so bad after all. I did it!

I think that is all the quilting I will be doing this summer. Time is moving on and changes are in the wind. Garth & I are going to be empty nesters again in a few days. Brooke is off to Italy and it will be the two of us again. Two is good!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't seen that last quilt, mom it is gorgeous! I love the crazy pattern and the bright colors. So....did you applique those flowers? :)

    ReplyDelete